Monday, April 13, 2009

Freedom of speech...where?

So much for free speech.....While we here in Australia can still say more or less what we want without going too far and risk being arrested for insulting islam...you know...the religion of peace...
I have had to take away any identifying remarks from him, but this latest email is in response to a few things I had asked him....

Here is part of an email I received from a Christian friend who lives in Malaysia, and studies at a Uni in Penang. His family live on the other side of Malaysia so he is away from them for most of the year.
I had asked him how his Easter went and explained how we get a long weekend here and how I was too ill to attend Church Thursday night for Easter. And I asked him if they had a long weekend/holidays there for Easter…this is his reply…I have had to take out any identifying names etc to protect him. And yes, I have permission to re-post some of his comments as he can’t do it there.

“Supposedly, we celebrate Easter happily and merrily among our friends and family but I don't have the chance to do so. FYI, tomorrow is my first paper for my final exam and I could do nothing but to attend the mass. After the mass, I directly went back to campus to continue my study for better preparation. FYI, living in predominantly Muslim country, we have no specific holiday for Good Friday and Easter except for Christmas. Here is different, whenever their festivals (Awal Muharram,Eid-ul Fitr,Eid-ul Adha and any Muslim holidays) fall on weekend ( Saturday and Sunday) they will have the holiday replacement on weekdays. For example, if Eid-ul Fitr is on Saturday and Sunday, they will replace those holidays on Monday and Tuesday. So, Monday and Tuesday will be the day off. For Christian holiday, they won't do something like that except for Christmas. If they want to talk about equality in everyone, we suppose to have extra holiday for tomorrow”


I had asked him to please join my network at my other blog that I keep for family and friends as I have a few photo albums in there…, I had also forwarded him a newsletter from Faith Freedom, and asked him if he had ever read it before….this is part of the reply…


I've accessed to your Butterfly Haven and sadly to say that when i entered to your photo albums, it's blocked by Fortiguard. I couldn't access it because it under personal storage restriction. Here in my uni, the internet policies are very strict. Only certain web sites are made accessible. This is what I'm against at. I can call this breaching of student's freedom. Same goes with Faithfreedom, it's also blocked by those who think they are doing the "best" for student. Hey, come on.. We're not underage or a stupid people. The problem here is there's still a control on student's mindset. From the age of 6,the students are asked to absorb what the teacher teaches without allowing us to think independently. This phenomenon continues until our tertiary level. That what makes us different from Western students. I can only have my internet-access freedom when I'm out of this uni. I'm not against my own uni, I just couldn't agree with some of its policy. Back to Sina, I know his blog quite well. I have been accessing the site from my 2nd year of study until it's suddenly blocked out of nothing. Maybe they know I'm accessing it, so they decide to block the page, hahaha ...

This next comment of his saddened me…He does have a blog site, and he has told me on different occasions that he has to be extremely careful as a couple of his friends have been bashed and hauled over the coals type of thing and charged for saying negative things about islam. He was going to start another blog and stay completely anonymous, but he knows that he can be tracked through his computer and he feels as if he is already being watched. This is what he now must do....

FYI, I have to stop blogging for a while. This is because of the reason I mentioned to you. Gov't is busy tracking down for those who dare to insult their so-called religion of peace. When I rethink about it, I've decided to put it on hold. It's not that I put aside completely for what I've done. I'm still visiting your blog, Islam in action, Jihad watch and so on, relating to Islam and Muslim issues. In Malaysia, we have one body called Internal Security Act (ISA) where it has the authority to detain anyone who has the tendency of threatening nation's harmony. "Advocating truth" about Islam is a crime here and I don't want to put my families, friends and my girlfriend on risk. I will continue my blog someday later when the time comes. So, keep up your good job exposing Islam evil, lies and the hate-filled Muslim issues, knowing that one of your friends here has to put the blogging on hold due to unavoidable reason.

I will be putting some more of his comments on my blog on Christian Nanna at http://beauseant.blogspot.com/ just so people understand what some people have to actually live their lives. And I mean ordinary, everyday people, and if they are Christian they are watched very closely especially in places like Malaysia and Indonesia etc. that are predominantly muslim.

No comments:

Post a Comment